Saturday, September 12, 2009

Not My Job

I accidentally kicked over a patron's drink in the audience today. I apologized. She looked at me and fumed, "You're gonna pay for that, right?" I looked at her with disdain and said, "Yeah right!" and started to walk away. She said, "Excuse me?!" and started to shout, "Don't ignore me. Do not ignore me!" I ignored the crap out of her. She went and complained to the head usher and got her free refill. And she proceeded to watch the rest of the show in her first row center seat with air of huffiness around her. Never clapped, didn't join in with the standing ovation at the end of the show.

One of my favorite things to blurt out to people in preshow when I'm getting in people's way is, "It's that kind of show!" It IS that kind of show! If you're in the front row of a Cirque show, you're gonna get messed with and spills happen. If you're gonna get angry over an overpriced drink, you shouldn't have bought your tickets in the first place.

Today I'm grateful that I can be obnoxious and surly in my profession and get away with it. In fact, it's encouraged! And I'm grateful when I can effectively piss people off who deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment