Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Brostrom Procedure

Doctor's orders.

Looks like I'll be getting myself into surgery sometime next year. After several sprains on my right foot, my MRI has shown a complete break in my ankle's ligament. Luckily for me, the Brostrom procedure that they'll perform on me is a pretty standard one with a high rate of success. And since I'm not in immediate pain and can function in the show with a torn ligament, there's no rush for surgery. Bad news is, recovery time is 12 weeks.

When to do it? I think it's important to do it after the baby is born, but before he's walking. And the show is going overseas in 2011. If I stay with it, I'll want this procedure done in the States, for sure. So, we're looking at June 2010, when the show is in Seattle, Vancouver, and partially Houston.

The baby will be six months old, and we're pretty confident that the wife can take care of two babies in the house by then! With Worker's Comp footing the bill and partial lost wages payment, taking 3 months off, yet staying on tour, AND spending full time with Junior sounds like win-win all around.

Now I gotta get around my fears of the competency of the health care system. Don't get me started.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck. I had the brostrom procedure in July 2009. I am still on crutches (for short distances) and a wheelchair for everything else. I spend 6+ hours a week in physical therapy. Be sure and take laxatives before your surgery, and ask for one of those things you breath into (can't remember the name right now). To ensure you don't end up with pneumonia like I did. Being stuck in the recliner for the first 3 weeks with no movement will do that to you. Take your meds ON TIME no matter what the first week or so. After that you can start cutting back, depending on your pain tolerance. Hope your surgery goes well, and you have a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete