Friday, January 1, 2010

Leo Robert


It's great to be a dad!

I know it's been a while since I posted, after promising myself I would write a little something everyday. But life just takes its turns, ya know? Speaking of...

Leo Robert Slonina gets himself born on December 17, 2009 in Whittier, CA after a 44-hour laborious labor process (more on that story later). And in the few weeks he's been around, the concept of fatherhood really starts to set in. I kinda just take everything in life in stride and try not to make a big deal out of anything, for better or worse. Even during Robin's pregnancy, I went along with everything as I do with most things in my life, without too much emotion one way or the other. Just doing my job as dad-to-be and helping her out wherever needed. In the last few weeks of pregnancy though, things get pretty ramped up. Anticipation gets the better of you, and pretty soon you get anxious to see the little guy already!

And once the final moments of pregnancy into actual birth rolls around, practicality and level-headedness gets thrown to the wind. And the real meaning of life and the cycle of the universe washes over you like a raging, warm waterfall. I'm not an emotional guy, so I can't imagine what more emotional guys go through when they see their first born coming into the world. Cuz I was an ecstatic wreck!

Now that Leo is here, practicality sets back in. We had some friends over yesterday with their 4 year old. And the dad said he didn't really feel a 'bonding' with his boy for the first four months. Then, when he saw his son smile and laugh at his jokes and really connect, that's when the bonding hit hardcore.

It made me think about how I'm bonding with Leo. I'm not even sure what that means. I'm sure when this four month mark hits (which everybody talks about), I'll hit another level of connection and elation with the little guy. But for now, I'm loving every minute--even when he cries mysteriously after being fed, changed and burped, or he stinks up his 40th diaper of the day. There's something about his face that's perennially irresistible.

Looking forward to it actually getting better!

2 comments:

  1. That's a lucky goddamn youngster you got there. Maybe. It usually takes a few years for your average father to foster a relationship with their male progeny predicated on an abiding emotional distance and crude masculine bullying. I suspect the "bonding" relationship undergoes a proportional reevaluation as the demand for discipline increases. Since I know nothing about such matters, I look forward to reading more about your experience as the relationship with your son progresses... unless it morphs into a saccharin reenactment of a Harry Chapin tune.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMFG, that is a cute baby.
    When our kid was a tteny little infant, I used to get so sad thinking he was growing too fast, but then suddenly it became this, OMG, he's getting SO MUCH COOLER EVERY DAY kind of thing. he started acquiring new skills and showing off personality traits and yeah, it jsut gets better and better, man. Your son is lucky to have such a wonderful man for a father. For one, you're PAYING ATTENTION. Plus, I'll bet he's going to laugh earlier than most kids. ;-)

    ReplyDelete