Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Fun Perspective

[Photo by Stephan Landry]

I've had a lot of people shake their head at what I do and say something like, "You must have the most fun job in the world." Maybe. It's certainly the most fun job I've ever had.

Lately, I've really been conscious of the show's various perspectives. Audience members, performers, artistic and technical teams.

A first-time audience member sits in awe (or in scrutiny) and lets the magic of the show wash over them. Or their mind wanders to the performers themselves, and they imagine the joy they must be experiencing at that very moment, creating unbelievable feats, defying gravity.

Then there's the performer, waiting in the wings, their mind on a various number of things. Fatigue, concentration, their family, stuff they gotta do tomorrow. Then there's the performer on stage. Now, any number of things could be going on in their minds at any given moment. Mostly, it's concentration, application of notes given by a director or coach, maintenance of a number or act that has been performed almost a thousand times before. Sure there's been evolution within the act, but that evolution has likely been so slow, it almost seems like the exact same act all this time.

The artistic and technical teams watch the show, and their scope and focus zoom in and out from big picture elements like ticket sales and the "story" of the show, to microscopic elements like an uneven trap door or a misstep of a performer. And you know they gotta be thinking about groceries or an upcoming day trip from time to time.

I won't lie. At times, your mind wanders. Mostly at the moments where you can afford to wander. I'm sure the guy on the Chinese Chairs rarely has those moments, but maybe on his last few chairs on the way down? Or when he first enters, before the dangerous stuff starts?

Maybe not, but I find myself at times thinking of how tired I am, noting whether the audience is with us tonight or not, controlling my body and facial expressions, maintaining timing and leaving myself open for improv if needed.

It's all wildly interesting, but I can't say it's "fun" every second. When all is said and done it's work. There's a job to be done, it needs to be done well, and it may require physical or mental strain. And then, on top of all that, fun indeed enters into the equation.

No comments:

Post a Comment